Feel free to read my article on Taiwanese culture here.
New Taipei, Taiwan
- Jiufen literally means "nine portions". Originally, the village only housed nine families, hence, the name. Jiufen village inspired the setting for the Japanese film Spirited Away.
- The Nanya Rock Formation (Nanya Peculiar Rocks) can be found along the northeast coast of Taiwan. The yellow tint on the rocks was caused by the operations of the nearby (now closed) copper mines.
- The bridge in the Tamsui Fisherman's Wharf is known as Lover's Bridge as it officially opened on Valentine's Day in 2003. Locals believe that couples who cross the bridge are bound to break up.
- The Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall building is shaped like an octagon. The number 8 is a believed to be auspicious and lucky in Taiwan.
- The Taipei Grand Hotel is decorated with more than 200, 000 dragons. According to rumors, there two secret tunnels under the hotel which lead to the Presidential Office and the Shilin Official Residence.
- Taipei 101 used to be the world's tallest building before it was superseded by Burj Khalifa in Dubai. At present, it holds the Guinness Record for having the fastest passenger elevator.